At Cheetwood Primary School we aim to provide the highest quality pastoral care throughout the whole school. All staff work together to help pupils at Cheetwood achieve their best educationally, socially and emotionally.
Staff at Cheetwood are committed to supporting the emotional well-being of all pupils and their families. Our dedicated Head of Pastoral Care, who is qualified in Therapeutic Play and holds a Post graduate certificate in Therapeutic play skills, as well as a Working with families level 3 and Learning Mentor level 3 qualifications, leads and provides an effective pastoral care system.
All pupils are encouraged to make the most of their time at Cheetwood Primary School. Every effort is made to remove any barriers or obstacles for them to achieve successful learning and to equip them with the confidence and the skills to be enthusiastic learners and effective members of the community.
The pastoral care team aims:
- To help pupils develop empathy for social, spiritual, emotional and physical needs within the school
- To provide an environment which supports the emotional health and well-being of all pupils
- To meet the differing needs of all pupils so that each unique child is equipped with life -long skills
- To support and empower families who are experiencing challenges
- To maintain an atmosphere in which pupils feel secure, are encouraged in their learning, growth and social development and know that they are valued within a healthy and safe environment
Support in school
The Oasis Room is a designated playroom which offers a safe, secure space for pupils. A range of interventions and programmes are offered to support and embed our aims. Pupils can self-refer for pastoral support or a referral can be made by the parents/carers or any member of staff in school.
The interventions may be 1-1 support or group support depending on individual needs.
Programmes and interventions
Directed or non-directed therapeutic play/ play therapy
1-1 in class support
Individual behaviour plans
It’s good to be me
Team building/ valuing others
Building confidence and self-esteem
Relaxation and meditation- creative visualisation
Developing social skills
Whole class support
As well as providing individual, bespoke support for pupils, a range of specialist workshops for whole year groups are delivered, these include:
Drug and Alcohol Awareness
If you would like any more information about the support the pastoral care team offers or you are worried or have any concerns about your child’s social or emotional well-being, please contact the school to speak to Miss Fisher, the Head of Pastoral Care.